Saturday, December 6, 2008

Visiting my Host Family



After almost a year of living on my own, I decided to return to my roots, my host family. I was invited to be a "Peace Corps Volunteer of the week" in a place near my home stay village to offer support for the new Education Volunteers . I took one afternoon and made my way down the 3mile dirt road leading up to my quaint village bearing gifts of rice, sugar, and salt. My anticipation was building and before reaching my village it dawned on me that perhaps my family would not be there. Village life in Africa, at least in Malawi, is fairly predictable and people don't travel much beyond their gardens or the local markets. I could be 99% sure my family did not take a vacation to the Bahamas during the "pre-rainy" season time when everyone is planting seeds. I passed through my friends' village and said my greetings knowing that the villagers probably confused me with every white person they have ever seen, be it man or woman. Before approaching my village of "Zuze," I had to go down a hill to go up another while the village sits perched at the top of a small mountain. People can see for at least a mile so I watched as crowds started to gather with the thought, "Which Azungu (wealthy person) is this?" More accurately, "Is this my Azungu?" Zuze village hosted the health volunteers after my group so there were at least 15 of us that I could be. I noticed most village life stopped for a moment. The women at the wells stopped pumping water, people's hoes took a break from the gardens, and those walking cattle lingered behind. It is both flattering and unnerving to make this much of a stink. Comparable to the daily life of Angelina Jolie only toned down 200%. As I got closer I watched one of the women's mouth widen and revealed a beautiful set of white, gleaming teeth. I knew that was my host mother! She took off running and hugged me while everyone watched. Other people began leaving the scene, disappointed their Azungu had not returned. As always, Malawians never fail to be the most hospitable people on the planet. I was welcomed and brought 2 sodas and cookies. I shared everything with my host brother and sister (pictured). My brother, "Cliffe" was so grown up and had a different face altogether! My sister, "Kilala" was shy as ever; however, her mother told me that she talks about me all the time! All the mothers who hosted my friends came to greet me and I phoned them so they could at least say "hello." My host father was at the garden but I was able to meet him on my way back out to the main road! He was very happy laughing his nervous laugh and saying "Yeah, Yeah, Yeah" at every awkward silence. My entire family walked the 3 miles with me and sent me away with potatoes and beans. It was awesome!

1 comment:

Jess said...

That's such a great story Angela, it made me smile. Thanks. :)