Saturday, October 25, 2008

Baby Elizabeth

I was asked to name my first baby two weeks ago and learned that it is common for Peace Corps Volunteers to be presented with this honor. The honor comes with a responsibility to be in the child's life; specifically, there is an expectation to provide gifts on birthdays and major holidays. So...I arrived at the house to see the baby, not knowing I would be naming her and asked the family for an "extension" so I could think about the name. I had a few criteria I was working within, namely, 1) Not using usual names with "r's" or "l's" as Malawians can't tell the difference; 2) Considering that she is Christian and many names are religious here; 3) I also considered finding a Chichewa name for a principle that I thought would be honorable like "peace" or "harmony" but Malawians frowned on it. After gathering more ideas and info. from other PC volunteers, they said the Malawians want a more "European Name" to further connect the child to the "namer." Therefore, I decided it would be a great honor for me to name the baby after the one who delivered me to this life...MY MOM!! So Mom, her name is: Elizabeth Mary Chimoto. They switched the "Mary" and "Elizabeth" as I had originally presented it because someone else was named Mary. For a bit more background, Elizabeth Mary was born on 5th September and named on 13th of October. It is common for a baby to be named well after birth by whomever is feeling compelled to name him/her or as in my case, a special visitor. So I have said that baby Elizabeth will be an "Ambassador." The family seemed to approve. I presented the name inside of a card where I gave some money. The family received it well and fed me fabulous fish (too much!) and sent me home with more fish!!!
I know how to make friends and distributed it well amongst neighbors and fellow teachers! So please help me welcome Elizabeth Mary Chimoto into the world!





No comments: